Dear Leslee Unruh,
Why, exactly, do you hate women so much? What did a vagina, yours or someone else’s, ever do to you? Did your uterus really piss you off at some point? Did some lady give you a nasty look as a child? What is it about the XX chromosome that makes you want to punish as many human beings carrying it around as you possibly can?
No, really, I have to know. What is it about yourself and the rest of us that makes you spend your every waking moment, every single breath you get on this earth, trying to make sure that people with similar biological makeup live a miserable, oppressed, torturous existence?
What is it? And once you figure it out, please get yourself some fucking therapy and leave the rest of us alone.
I’ve written about the zombie South Dakota abortion ban before. For those of you out there who think that maybe, just maybe, Leslee Unruh actually does think that she’s doing something good, that she really is stupid enough to believe that making the autonomous decision to have an abortion is more damaging to a woman than forcing her to give birth to an infant she does not want or cannot afford, for those of you who think that she’s just a woman ridiculous enough to think that an embryo deserves more rights than the born human being carrying it, and really she just loves embryo-babies so much that she can’t control herself . . . you’re wrong. This woman hates women. I don’t know how she feels about babies. I have an inkling that she couldn’t give a shit less about them, but maybe she loves them and even intends to start adopting them from the orphanages she sees as a fair “compromise” on abortion for everyone involved. It doesn’t matter. Because the fact remains that she hates women, and so does her ilk.
This time, the lovely abortion ban that was resoundingly rejected by voters in 2006, includes an exception for health, rape and incest. Here is what must happen to satisfy the rape exception (emphasis mine):
(1) Advise the woman that a report of the rape or incest must be made, and prior to performing the abortion shall report the rape or incest immediately by telephone or otherwise to the state’s attorney or law enforcement of the county in which the rape or incest occurred, or, if the location is unknown, to the state’s attorney or law enforcement of the county in which the report is made to the physician. The report shall include the name, address, and date of birth of the woman, and, to the best of the woman’s ability, the date or dates of the reported rape or incest, the location where it occurred, and either the name and address of the perpetrator, if known, or, if not known, a description of the perpetrator and, in the case of incest, a description of the relationship between the pregnant woman and the perpetrator;
(2) Obtain the woman’s consent to collect a buccal or other biological sample from the woman, and a tissue sample from the remains of the embryo or fetus, each sufficient to perform forensic DNA analysis. The physician shall collect, secure, clearly label, and refrigerate the samples, and within twenty-four hours arrange with law enforcement to transfer custody of the samples;
(3) Provide the woman with the phone numbers and addresses of counseling services qualified in counseling victims of rape and incest in the area of her residence and also in the area in which the procedure is performed;
(4) Document all the actions taken pursuant to this section and maintain copies of all the documents and consents as part of the woman’s permanent medical records.
Read it carefully. Let it sink in. And then try to tell yourself that anyone who does not hate women could have possibly written it, or could read and fully understand it only to show it profuse support. If you are able to delude yourself that badly, you may need some medical help. If not, it might just depress you enough to seek out a psychiatrist’s couch anyway.
This is some evil shit. I can’t even think of a word other than “evil” that is apt. In order to qualify for a rape exception, a woman must file a police report. (Because otherwise every woman who wanted an abortion would be told quietly by the doctor to say that she was raped, and this is why abortion bans with rape exceptions are not only ideologically unsound on every level by also completely unworkable in the real world.) A police report that includes all of her personal information, the personal information of her rapist, and that will be forever kept in her permanent medical records. If the abortion ban passes, a woman in South Dakota would have to report her rape to the police in order to receive a specific form of after-rape medical care.
Because fuck women who do not want to file a police report. Fuck women who, for whatever understandable reason, don’t want “my dad raped me” to jump off the page at every doctor she has for the rest of her life. Fuck women who have already made up their minds to not report, have had several weeks or months of distance only to find out that things can indeed get worse, and don’t want to be subjected to even more torture. Fuck women who fear violent retaliation. Fuck the fact that no person should ever be required to talk to police before receiving medical care, or give a DNA sample for a routine medical procedure, and I’m that pretty sure this is some kind of violation of human rights. Fuck all of that. The “pro-lifers” behind this shit can pretend to feel “compassionate” towards the rape victims — after proving with their first attempt at this legislation that they actually don’t — but not so much that they’re willing to risk letting through one of those irresponsible sluts who had consensual S-E-X and is utterly desperate to have an abortion without traveling out of state or puncturing her uterus.
Disgusting. Appalling. Vile. Terrifying. Inexcusable.
But you know what? I’m sticking with evil.
Here’s the framing you’ll actually hear in the media, though: what the people behind this bill want is to prevent female suffering. See:
(3) That submitting to an abortion subjects the pregnant woman to significant psychological and physical health risks, and that in the majority of cases there is neither the typical physician-patient relationship nor sufficient counseling between a pregnant woman contemplating submitting to an abortion and the physician who performs the abortion;
(4) That a pregnant woman possesses certain intrinsic rights which enjoy affirmative protection under the Constitution of the United States, and under the Constitution and laws of the State of South Dakota, and that among these rights are the fundamental right of the pregnant woman to her relationship with her child, and her fundamental right to make decisions that advance the well-being and welfare of her child;
I’ll let you pick apart the mind-numbing irony of (4) on your own, I just couldn’t resist including it. I’m interested in (3). The “abortion hurts women” crap.
Clearly, the last thing that the “raped women can only abort their rapist’s fetus once they grovel in front of me and beg forgiveness over having been born with a working female reproductive system in a misogynist world” crowd would want is for women to feel emotional stress. The suffering of women would also be the last desires of the “women should die of perforated uteruses if they want to control their own bodies” crowd and the “so what if she kills herself, I guess she should have kept her legs shut” crowd. They don’t want women to suffer. Now it makes sense.
I don’t know what offends me more: that anti-choicers expect people to believe they care about women, or that people apparently actually do believe that anti-choicers care about women.
I wrote another post today on this same exact subject that is more polite and coherent (I know, it’s weird huh?) over at the Planned Parenthood Rochester/Syracuse blog Sex. Justice. Change. Check that out for the rational, fuck-free version of my thoughts.